If there’s one thing we love as much as farming here at Sweet Berry Farm, it’s playing host to an unforgettable party. Some of our all-time favorite memories have been seeing newlyweds share their very first dance as Mr. and Mrs. by the fireplace in our barn, or relatives coming together from across the country for a special family reunion in our Orchard Field. Creating lasting moments is something we were built for and proud of. Here, we share our top event planning tips from our Facility Rental Coordinator, Jessica Pohl. From corporate events to just-because celebrations, fundraisers, weddings, and everything in between, we welcome you here, and wish you happy planning!
1. Do your homework. Look for reviews from people who have hosted similar events at the location you’re considering. Check out recent photos — can you picture yourself there? There’s no better way to get a sense for what you can expect than doing a bit of research while choosing the backdrop for your event.
2. Pick your spot. Are you envisioning an outdoor affair, or an indoor event? If the property you choose makes different spots available to you, what you choose will depend on your preference, and the number of guests on your invite list. Here at Sweet Berry Farm, we have the Post-and-Beam Barn and the Orchard Field; two very different and very beautiful options. Choose what feels just right!
3. Trust the pros. Working with a coordinator who knows the ins and outs of the property is a huge benefit. Their job is to make your event a smoothly run success, from start to finish! This offers peace of mind so you can focus on enjoying the event. Trust your coordinator to make recommendations and help create the day of your dreams.
4. Keep it local. Incorporating freshly grown, seasonal produce, flowers, and foods can be a special way to welcome guests to your event. It is a nod to the area in which you’re hosting the event, and a chance to showcase some of the best it has to offer. This is a unique touch that is a hit with many hosts — and guests — here on the farm.
5. Emphasize fun! Maybe your guests have been working hard, or traveled from near and far to attend your event. Perhaps you’re hosting a mix of ages. More than ever, you’ll want to create an event that’s full of fun for everyone. Adding music and dancing is one way to up the excitement. Consider setting up croquet or bocce on the grass, which are great activities to encourage mingling and add to the festive feel.
6. Make it meaningful. From season to season, New England is such a beautiful place! Choosing a venue that showcases its uniqueness and charm ensures an experience that your guests won’t have elsewhere. And when you host at Sweet Berry Farm, you’re helping to preserve open space and support sustainable farming practice, which gives your event an extra special touch.