You already know that fresh, local strawberries are like heaven on earth. Delicious and bright, strawberries are synonymous with easy summer days. But here are five things you may not know about these ruby red treats along with tips for making the most of your strawberry picking adventure.
1. Pick-your-own berries have big flavor. The variety of strawberry grown at Sweet Berry Farm is unique because it is specifically developed for flavor, and not for shipping. They are sweet and are red to the core.
2. The bigger berries aren't always the sweetest ones. The small berries pack big flavor and are the often the sweetest.
3. Strawberries will not ripen once they have been harvested. Unlike bananas, avocados and many other fruits and vegetables, white or green berries won't continue to ripen once they're picked, and they will never be as sweet and juicy as the bright red ones.
4. Strawberries should be picked with the stem attached. The hull (green leafy 'cap') will help keep your berries fresher.
5. The best way to enjoy your fresh strawberries is to eat them within 24 hours. If you want to keep them for a few days or you want to freeze them, follow these instructions to ensure they maintain their delciousness.
Bob berries in water and drain.
Hull caps (de-stem), and cut medium and large berries in half.
Place in bowl with a bit of sugar (1/4 -1/3 cup sugar per quart is sufficient to preserve flavor)
Mix and let set for a few minutes.
Refrigerate for a few days OR place in freezer bag and freeze.
Freeze whole berries for garnish: Simply bob in water and drain. Put on a cookie sheet and freeze. Place in freezer bag once completely frozen.
Hope to see you at the farm soon! We're open every day, 8am to 7pm.